Our Sunflowers (ages 0-2) got to experience and enjoy cooking apricot and sultana bars with Paris. During this task Sunflowers acquired new knowledge about a range of topics:
- The importance of handwashing before food preparation through discussion and taking turns at washing their hands
- The feel of different textures and consistencies of different foods while they were still in the sandwich bags
- Each child had a turn at adding ingredients and stirring the mixture together
- Using the toy kitchenette, Paris explained how an oven bakes our food and each child had a turn at placing the tray inside
- They were reminded that the real oven is hot and that only adults should operate it
The apricot and sultana bars were ready to eat by afternoon tea and the Sunflowers were very excited to experience the transformation process and then eat the yummy product of their hard work and cooking skills!
Sunflowers are imaginative and very curious about their environment.